Moving to Newbridge from UK
Hi all – and thanks in advance for any answers, only just joined this board.
I’ve been offered a job in Dublin 8, near St. Stephens Green and looking at how feasible the commute is. I’m 40yo, with about 20 years experience on a bike, including 5yrs commuting 40 miles daily right across London, so commuting on a bike again feels sensible, albeit haven’t daily commuted for 6yrs.
Looking at moving to nr Newbridge, so can use the train when the weather is really foul, but would appreciate your thoughts on the below:
1) What is parking like in central Dublin – easy to find a spot and if so is it free?
2) What is bike crime like? It’s mental in London so I tend to drive something mechanically sound but shabby looking. My current vfr800 is 15yrs old, has mega miles, lots of dents and scratches, and very far from shiny – would I be right in thinking this is less likely to be nicked, or is anything fair game?
3) I’ve seen some Youtube commute videos – looks like red lights are taken as advisory by some :smileee: but are car drivers generally aware of bikers, with just some nutters, or is it really carnage out there?
4) Does anyone here commute from Newbridge, or down the N7 – if so, please can you share typical commute times. It doesn’t look too bad on a map, but…
5) Anyone know where I can hire a bike for a day’s commute (i.e. not a fancy touring bike) just so I can experience the traffic before accepting the job!
Big thanks in advance – any other tips greatly appreciated.